Re: 1000+ character POSTed strings get mangled

Thanks for the info! Based on the "Apache2" reference and dug into the problem a little more. Bug 18648 (http://bugs.php.net/bug.php?id=18648) contains a long thread from folks with similar problems. It seems that the Apache2 setup creates a conf.d/php.conf file with this in it:

<Files *.php>
    SetOutputFilter PHP
    SetInputFilter PHP
    LimitRequestBody 524288
</Files>

I got rid of that code, restarted Apache and now all is well!

John Holmes wrote:
Jonny Roller wrote:

If I POST a string greater than 1000 character through a form, the resulting string gets mangled. What I get back is the first 1000 characters of the string, then the name of the form variable, an equal sign (=) and then the entire string again. If I change the form to a GET, this problem does not occur.

[snip]

I'm running PHP 4.3.8 with Apache 2.0.50 on Linux but it also occurred with PHP 4.3.9 on Apache 2.0.52. However, a similarly configured (but not identical) server running the same versions of PHP and Apache does not exhibit this behavior.

I remember an Apache2/PHP bug that caused issues like this with any request variables, but I couldn't find it on bugs.php.net. Have you reported this there, yet?