Re: Securing Servers

Hi there,

I'd agree with Radhita saying "how about getting a low cost shared
hosting solution instead?"

but plz Radhita, don't bring your biased opinions about MS vs
Opensource or Linux vs Windows over here. It's so subjective and plus
gets an off-topic topic more off !

We all benefit from this valuable list so plz dont make your posts a flood!

On Sat, 09 Oct 2004 07:29:11 +0600, raditha dissanayake
<jabber@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
> This is some what off topic.
>
> Stephen Craton wrote:
>
> >Hello,
> >
> >I'm in the process of hooking up my own personal web server for use by
> >certain clients to view the progress on work I'm doing for them. However,
> >I'm on a shared network that is behind a firewall and some computers on the
> >network need to stay secure as possible. I've heard that if you gain access
> >to one computer, the whole thing is vulnerable.
> >

> It depends on the configuration of your other machines.
>
> >I've going to be running Apache with PHP on my Windows box that has
> >

> if you are concerned about security windows is out.
>
> >antivirus all set up and whatnot. My question comes in terms of port
> >security. Since I'll be having the port open for Apache, I want to make sure
> >nothing naughty gets through the port.
> >
> This is pretty hard to do. Once you open the port you allow virtually
> anything through but on linux iptables can do some basic checks against
> malformed packets etc.
>
> > What should I do to secure it to the
> >best ability? Is there any special firewall I can use or any special tricks
> >I should do? How should I configure Apache and PHP in order to keep it as
> >secure as possible but still functional?
> >
> >I have considered using Linux, but until I can get myself a separate
> >computer box to dedicate to the server, I'm stuck with using my personal
> >computer as the server as well and all my programs/games need Windows.
> >

> how about getting a low cost shared hosting solution instead?
>
> >Any help here would be greatly appreciated.
> >
> >Thanks,
> >Stephen Craton
> >

> --
> Raditha Dissanayake.