Re: Best and easy html text area replacement tool?

On Monday 04 October 2004 01:50 pm, Bosky, Dave wrote:
> I'm looking for an easy to use html textarea replacement script and figured
> this was the place to locate the most popular.
Dave,
I've done some research on this issue.  There are a few out there to look at:

HTMLArea (http://www.interactivetools.com/products/htmlarea/)

TinyMCE (http://tinymce.moxiecode.com/)

WYSIWYGPro (http://www.wysiwygpro.com/)

The big issue for me in my research is the ability to edit HTML on IE and also on Mozilla based browsers with no problems.  You will find that HTMLArea has problems in these areas.
For instance, when you boldface something in a wysiwyg editor using IE, it will in-line CSS code around the text you are making bold.
Mozilla browsers will put <strong></strong> around them.  They don't work across platforms.

TinyMCE is free and deals with these issues fairly well, but it doesn't have a cross-platform spell checker.

WYSIWYGPro costs money but it does it all and is made explicitly for use with PHP.

If you don't care about cross-platform usability then HTMLArea would be a good choice. TinyMCE is rather new but actively developed.

Good hunting!

Scott