successive imap_open calls result in failure

Hi,

Have been experiencing a problem with the webmail program IMP
(http://www.horde.org).

It appears that after a large search through many folders something happens in
either the c-client or the imapd server but I can't seem to trace the problem.

Debugging so far has shown me that, after accessing a large number of folders
using the imap_open call in quick succession, imap_open starts to fail for no
apparent reason (using the same credentials all the time). In order to retreive
data from the folder it must call this for each folder. Adding in calls

print_r(imap_alerts());
print_r(imap_errors());

and removing the @ from in front of the imap_open calls helped identify that
after 39 to 51 successful folder opens on a search accessing 80 folders using
the imap_open call, errors appeared indicating that imap_open was unable to open
any further folders. As a result when refreshing to the next page the webmail
assumed that it was dealing with a failed login. Each folder is being opened
read only and is not being accessed by any other program at the time.

The problem is so far from php all I've been able to determine is that after
so many folders being opened in quick succession, it gets blocked from being
able to access any more for a period of about 5-10 minutes, which means that
when your logged out due to the failed imap_open calls, you can't log back in
for that period.

Does anyone know of any issues with the imap_open function calls, is there some
form of access limit that would cause this or would it be down to the imapd
server. I'm not the admin on the machine so I'm having to ask the admins to pass
along various log files, alter some configs while I try and trace the problem.
Their being faily helpful since they use the same webmail as well :)

If anyone knows of any way to get some better details from php. The imap_alerts
and imap_errors don't produce anything meaningful in this case. I've asked the
admins to enable debugging so I'm hoping that will help.

--
Darragh Bailey
webteam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

"Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool."