Compiling PHP with GD and JPEG support

Hello,

I am attempting to compile PHP 5.5.4 with GD (bundled) and JPEG support, but so far I have not had any luck getting JPEG support to work.  This is on Debian 7.2 (Wheezy) with libjpeg8 and libjpeg8-dev already installed via apt-get, and the libjpeg libraries are under /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu.

I've tried the following options:

    --with-gd --with-jpeg-dir=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu
    --with-gd --with-jpeg-dir=/usr/lib
    --with-gd --with-jpeg-dir=/usr

But no matter what I do, JPEG support does not work, and phpinfo shows the following for GD:

GD Support enabled
GD Version bundled (2.1.0 compatible)
GIF Read Support enabled
GIF Create Support enabled
PNG Support enabled
libPNG Version 1.2.49
WBMP Support enabled
XBM Support enabled

I should note that 'configure' reports no errors regarding GD or libjpeg, and the configuration and compile process goes smoothly.  Also, PNG support works perfectly every time, without specifying anything for it at compile time, and libpng is installed from native packages same as libjpeg.

I'm starting to suspect that I've missed something simple and obvious, but I really can't figure this out.  Can anyone shed some light on what I might be doing wrong?

    Thanks!
    Dave

--
Dave Parker