Re: php/zend and apache segmentation faults

On 10/19/2012 03:08 AM, tariq wali wrote:
Hi,

I am new to the group here and would quickly like to understand if
this is the right place to share questions on php/zend ? Just to
give an idea we at info edge ltd run most of the web properties on
LAMP stack and use various versions of PHP(5.2 to latest 5.4.x) with
Zend Engine .

Evidently we get a lot of segmentation faults as logged by apache in
error logs and when we try to debug them they more or less point
issues to zend . Although I am not a programmer and probably do not
understand the exact cause of segfaults but I am willing to believe
this is something to do with PHP . we have eliminated all doubts on
hardware/apache file system and so forth . Here is a quick output of
gdb backtrace on one of the cores that apache wrote on a segfault .

Since you may need to log a bug, focus on the most recent 5.4 version
(not the 5.2 that you gave a stack trace for).

Have you disabled the opcode cache (APC et al)?

In recent versions of PHP have you disabled the garbage collector with
zend.enable_gc = Off ?

Have you used valgrind? https://bugs.php.net/bugs-getting-valgrind-log.php

Something recent comes to mind, but this is purely a random thought:
http://news.php.net/php.internals/63529
I'll let you compare backtraces and so forth to see if you think it
is relevant.

The bottom line is that you'll likely need to construct a reproducible
test case and log a bug.

Chris

--
christopher.jones@xxxxxxxxxx