Re: php_pdo 5.2 Drupal 7 OpenBSD 5.1

On Sat, 18 Aug 2012, Jim Barchuk wrote:

To: php-install@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Jim Barchuk <jb@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject:  php_pdo 5.2 Drupal 7 OpenBSD 5.1

Hi All!

Simplest Q, is there a way to test (via CLI or a short script) whether pdo-mysql is -truly- installed and functional?

I'm using OpenBSD 5.1 but want to use a few newer versions of some software. For example OBSD provides phpMyAdmin 3.4.9 but with a few oddities I have manually installed 3.5.2.2.

My issue is with Drupal 7. (OBSD provides 6.24.)

The Drupal install fails with:

Requirements problem
Database support	Disabled
Your web server does not appear to support any common PDO database extensions. Check with your hosting provider to see if they support PDO (PHP Data Objects) and offer any databases that Drupal supports.

Take a look at this link here please:

http://www.php-debuggers.net/

You could try using the SQLite3 database option for testing purposes first. Check if that's enabled in the output from phpinfo() as well please.

Should be compiled in as a static module.

There's a link in that text that points to http://drupal.org/node/270#database which says "Drupal 7 notes... PHP Data Objects (PDO) must be activated for Drupal 7 to install and run correctly. Look in your php.ini. Uncomment (remove the leading semicolon) at line extension=php_pdo.dll, extension=php_pdo_mysql.dll.

In Linux, these would be
extension=pdo.so and extension=pdo_mysql.so. Some Linux distributions may have these extensions by default in files found in the conf.d folder (Ubuntu 12.04: /etc/php5/conf.d has pdo.ini and pdo_mysql.ini). If these lines are not there, you will need to add them."

So I added those lines, and httpd restart returns "PHP Warning: PHP Startup: Unable to load dynamic library '/usr/local/lib/php-5.2/modules;/usr/local/share/php-5.2/include/ext/pdo/pdo.so' - File not found in Unknown on line 0" which makes sense because I don't find a pdo.so anywhere.

On the plus side phpinfo.php reports...
PHP Version 5.2.17 Configure Command
--with-pdo-mysql=shared,/usr/local

That's saying it has been put in that location as a shared PHP loadable module.

You need to add this path into your php.ini file so PHP can find the pdo.so

...so I don't think I should even -need- the explicit 'extension' line if it's already --with'ed into the original configure.

I don't know if an OBSD pkg install of Drupal (6) would install the *.so, and/or perform other PHP configuration adjustments.

Yes - please see above

I don't know exactly how the Drupal install is looking for the pdo - the configure says it is, but I can't find it in an extension file. If there -is- no extension file then I don't know if the Drupal install fail is caused by simply not finding a file, or trying and failing to run an actual functional test.

PHP is complaining and passing the error back to Drupal, as drupal is obviously a program written in PHP :)

Websites:
http://www.karsites.net
http://www.php-debuggers.net
http://www.raised-from-the-dead.org.uk