PHP-FPM, Monit, ping/status pages, Apache

Hello,

I'm trying to monitor my FPM daemon with Monit, and I'm assuming that the following is not the best technique due to respawning and the PID changing?

check process php5-fpm with pidfile "/var/run/php5-fpm.pid"
      start = "/etc/init.d/php5-fpm start"
      stop = "/etc/init.d/php5-fpm stop"
      if failed port 80 protocol http then restart

>From what I can gather, the better way to do this is to make use of the FPM ping URLs, only I'm unable to activate these with Apache.

What exactly has to be done in Apache/PHP-FPM, other than setting the FPM pool option:

pm.status_path = /status
ping.path = /ping

which I was hoping would allow me to simply go to:

http://mydomain.com/status

to pull up the status page. When I go to this URL I'm getting 404 errors. I'm assuming that I need some sort of <Location> handler to redirect /status and /ping to my FPM server on localhost port 9000. How can I do this?

--
Joe Auty, NetMusician
NetMusician helps musicians, bands and artists create beautiful, professional, custom designed, career-essential websites that are easy to maintain and to integrate with popular social networks.