Re: PHP 5.3.6 and MySQL

On Mon, 22 Aug 2011, Eric H.M.M. Condic wrote:

To: php-install@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Eric H.M.M. Condic <condic@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject:  PHP 5.3.6 and MySQL

We have just upgraded to PHP 5.3.6 and everything is working except the link to a remote MySQL database. When we run a test script, we get the following error message, see below. MySQL is version 5.1.52:

Could not connect: mysqlnd cannot connect to MySQL 4.1+ using the old insecure authentication. Please use an administration tool to reset your password with the command SET PASSWORD = PASSWORD('your_existing_password'). This will store a new, and more secure, hash value in mysql.user. If this user is used in other scripts executed by PHP 5.2 or earlier you might need to remove the old-passwords flag from your my.cnf file

Hello Eric

IIRC the MySQL passwords changed from version 4.x to 5.x.

That error message looks like the old version of MySQL 4.1 is still running?

Can you run a PHP script with this as it's contents, to get what's currently running on your server please?

<head>
<title>php-info</title>
</head>

<?php phpinfo(); ?>

view that in a browser and check what versions of PHP and MySQL you are using.

This will give you the client versions, but it will not tell you waht version of MySQL server is running - and I suspect it is still running the old 4.1 version.

Check you have the new 5.x version of MySQL installed on your server, then try stopping and then restarting MySQL and see if that brings the new version to life.

Kind Regards,

Keith Roberts

Websites:
http://www.karsites.net