Re: Upgrading an old Windows install.

On Thu, Mar 31, 2011 at 13:08, Scot <php@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Greetings Ladies and Gents,
> We've used PHP for many years on our old Windows 2000 server running IIS5.
> We currently have PHP 4.4.1 running, mostly because I am dumb and lazy and
> it's just always worked so we've kind of went with the "if it ain't broke,
> don't fix it" motto. Security wise, it's probably not been smart but anyway.
> We now need to get PHP 5 running. I'm wondering if anyone can give me a
> heads up on any known differences that may break any sites setup using the
> PHP 4.4.1? Is it recommended I just go with the latest? I've been doing some
> reading and it sounds like maybe I should use 5.2.9-1 instead of the latest
> 5.3.6?
>
> Any info., tips, tricks, etc... would be appreciated.

    With just hours remaining in March, you win the Honest Quote of
the Month Award with "mostly because I am dumb and lazy and it's just
always worked."  I like the lack of excuses and B.S. there, Scot.  ;-P

    There are a TON of changes between PHP4 (which was EOL'd back in
2007, and completely forgotten as of 08/08/08 (no need for
international date conversions there).  You should start by reading
here:

        http://php.net/manual/en/migration5.php

    From that, you can then view the migration notes from 5.0 to 5.1
to 5.2.  While it would usually be recommended that you go to the
latest branch (at present, 5.3), your particular case would likely
require an almost complete rewrite of the codebase.  Instead, look at
the 5.2 branch, and consider going to 5.2.17 (the latest in the
branch).  PHP 5.3 introduced a number of changes that could arguably
have made it eligible to be the next major release.

    If worse comes to worst, the following link will become your best friend:

        http://museum.php.net/php4/

    Best of luck.

--
</Daniel P. Brown>