Re: PHP 5.2.9 + Apache 1.3 Darwin 6.8 MAC OS X 10.2.8 + MYSQL

Ryan Schmidt escribió:
On Aug 31, 2009, at 15:12, ruben wrote:
Ryan Schmidt escribió:
On Aug 31, 2009, at 05:47, ruben wrote:
After been using PHP 5.2.9 on a MAC OS 10.2.8 with Apache 1.3 without
problems, I decided to add support for MYSQL so I tried to re-compile
the php module for apache with this configuration:

../configure --prefix=/user --sysconfdir=/etc --localstatedir=/var
--mandir=/usr/share/man --with-apxs --without-sqlite
--without-pdo-sqlite --with-zlib --without-iconv --enable-sockets
--with-openssl --with-kerberos --with-mysql=/usr --with-mysql-sock

The configure script runs with no problems, but then 'make' fails with

ld: Undefined symbols:
_mysql_create_db
_mysql_drop_db
make: *** [libs/libphp5.bundle] Error 1

Now that I spend a little time on Google, I see a few reports of this problem before; unfortunately none of them seem to end with a resolution:

http://bugs.php.net/bug.php?id=28810

http://lists.apple.com/archives/web-dev/2004/Mar/msg00086.html

http://www.hotscripts.com/forums/php/7359-cant-make-php5-mac-osx-10-2-a.html

What version of MySQL is installed, and where? Did you compile it yourself or install it from some binary distribution?
Is this on Mac OS X Server or the regular Mac OS X client version?
Are you really installing PHP in /user or was that a typo of /usr?

This is mysql-standard-4.0.26-apple-darwin6.8-powerpc.pkg, binary dist.
The OS is MAC OS X 10.2.8 regular client version.
The PHP is in /user, up and running and I've been working with it for months without any trouble. The problem is to add the mysql support to the Apache's PHP module.

If I remember correctly, the binary distributions of MySQL from MySQL AB install into a prefix like "/usr/local/mysql-standard-4.0.26-apple-darwin6.8-powerpc" and there is a symlink at "/usr/local/mysql" pointing to it. So you would seem to need "--with-mysql=/usr/local/mysql" instead of "--with-mysql=/usr". One of the posts above shows the user doing this and it still failing, but I'm not sure I believe that. It seems plausible to me that the failure is caused by PHP's configure script finding its bundled copy of MySQL 3.23.x (which contains those old functions) but then at make time trying to link with your installed MySQL 4.0.26 (which doesn't).

If the above does not help, I have a G4 set up with Mac OS X 10.2.8 and could possibly try to reproduce the issue here, but MySQL AB no longer offers binary downloads of MySQL 4.0.x. If you still have the mysql-standard-4.0.26-apple-darwin6.8-powerpc.pkg installer package and could make it available to me (perhaps by putting it on a web server or FTP server and sending me the URL), I could give it a try.

Of course you know, though, that you're using very outdated versions of things. You may experience less frustration (or, at least, different frustration) by using Mac OS X 10.5.8 (which might require a newer Mac) or Mac OS X 10.6.0 (which definitely would) and using the current version of MySQL (5.1.37), Apache (2.2.13) and PHP (5.3.0). There are many ways to install these packages on recent versions of Mac OS X, but the method I like to use is MacPorts.

http://www.macports.org/

MacPorts currently requires Mac OS X 10.4.11 or later, though Mac OS X 10.4 support will probably be gone within a year too.

THAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANK YOUUUUUUUUU

:D :D :D :D :D :D

Your 'forensic' science about the compilation 'fatality' worked amazingly!!! It made sense and it depicted accurately the problem!!! I just added --with-mysql=/usr/local/mysql and the whole damn thing went smooth as silk (at least this is what it looks like, now I'll have to test it in depth). So I owe you a truck packed of beers.

Just for the record, I'd say that in fact I own a MacBook with the beautiful Leopard on it (When winter comes, maybe I'll upgrade it to the snowish one..) and Apache 2.2.x and the whole set (MySQL, PHP, etc...) up to date. The problem is that as a freelance developer, in my work I have to cope with harware/software scenarios which are not very nice indeed. An this is the case. Upgrading the equipment would be the last resort. It's all a matter of budget.

Because of this, I had to work hard finding old versions and even more hard to make new things run in an old machine. For example, to get the old MySQL package after having noticed that they just erased MySQL 4.0.x from the downloads list in MySQL.com, I browsed to a mirror as chances were that they hadn't erased the file from it. And fortunately I was right. All the new and old versions are in ftp://ftp.rediris.es/mirror/mysql/Downloads/

One more time, thank you very very much

I'll report when I end the tests

Best regards,

Ruben B.