"system (" in any textarea hangs php/apache ? [RESOLVED]

Thanks all for your input.
Nothing was getting logged into our servers in case of timeouts and eventually it did turn out to be an external problem. The issue here was that our university's boundary intrusion detection system parses GET and POST variables and anything akin to "system (" or "eval (" is taken as an attempt to a function call and its not let through.

Thanks all,
Vineet