php-cgi + extensions "not stripped"

hi,

i'm trying to install php 5.2.9 as a CGI from source on a centos 5.3
system. compiling and using the cgi does work, but the resulting binary
is significantly larger than the 5.1.6 one packaged with centos (4,2M vs
 2,8M) which seems to be related to php-cgi (and extensions) being not
stripped (linked in libraries are not the problem, ldd is the same for
both binaries).

i'm not a c programmer, so my knowledge about compiling is limited, but
this is what i tried:

i started from the configuration centos/redhat uses for compiling their rpm.

relevant configure flags are:

--host=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu \
--target=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu \
--with-libdir=lib64 \
--disable-debug \
--with-pic \
--disable-rpath \

various extensions are compiled "shared" (as in centos)

CFLAGS are "-fno-strict-aliasing -Wno-pointer-sign"

after thoroughly reading redhats spec file i tried using system libtool
by applying the php-4.3.2-libtool15.patch and doing the following

libtoolize --force --copy
cat `aclocal --print-ac-dir`/libtool.m4 > build/libtool.m4
./buildconf --force

i don't even know if that worked (compile output still says "/bin/sh
/usr/src/php-5.2.9/libtool") or if this related to my problem

all build tools are from centos 5.3, ie. gcc is 4.1.2, binutils is
binutils-2.17.50.0.6

anyway, after all my binaries are "not stripped" and i think this should
not be the case, but i don't know how to change that, so I would be
thankful for any advice

matthias

--
Mit freundlichen Grüssen

Matthias Leopold
System & Network Administration

Streams Telecommunications GmbH
Universitaetsstrasse 10/7, 1090 Vienna, Austria

tel: +43 1 40159113
fax: +43 1 40159300