Veracity of statement that FastCGI is always enabled cannot be disabled in PHP 5.3

Hi. I'm the maintainer of PHP in MacPorts and I'm in the process of updating our php5 port to version 5.3.0.

In PHP 5.2.x and earlier you had to choose which web SAPI you wanted -- Apache 1, Apache 2, or FastCGI. The CLI SAPI was always built in any case, in addition to the web SAPI you selected, but you couldn't have both an Apache SAPI and the FastCGI SAPI built at the same time; you had to run "./configure" and "make" twice each, and this is what my php5 port currently does to allow a user to install both an Apache SAPI and the FastCGI SAPI at the same time if desired.

On http://www.php.net/manual/en/migration53.sapi.php it says of PHP 5.3 that "FastCGI is now always enabled and can not be disabled. See sapi/cgi/CHANGES for more details." The same text appears in the NEWS file. In sapi/cgi/CHANGES it says "Now fastcgi is always enabled".

Based on these statements, I assumed the FastCGI SAPI would now always be built, just like the CLI SAPI always gets built. But it appears that if you use --with-apxs2 or --with-apxs, PHP 5.3 does in fact disable the FastCGI SAPI, and only builds that Apache and CLI SAPIs, just like PHP 5.2.x did.

sapi/cgi/CHANGES also states "In PHP5.3 all additional configure options (except --enable-cgi) are removed" and "./configure --help" lists the option "--disable-cgi Disable building CGI version of PHP". Using --disable-cgi, the FastCGI module does not get built.

So I believe the statement "FastCGI is now always enabled" is false, because FastCGI is not enabled if you request an Apache SAPI. And I believe the statement that it "can not be disabled" is false, because the --disable-cgi configure argument does disable it. I believe the correct documentation of PHP 5.3's capabilities would be, "The FastCGI module is now built by default, but can be disabled by using --disable-cgi".

Note: I did the above tests using 5.3.0RC4 not 5.3.0 final. This is my first time posting to a PHP mailing list. I wanted to check here for guidance before filing a bug for these issues.

P.S: There is a typo on the mailing lists page's description of this list. It says "How to install PHP with partiucular configurations, and servers". That should be "particular" not "partiucular" and the comma should be removed.