Browser tries to download php file

Hi list,

I have a Gentoo server that has been running for over a year with
Apache 1.3 & mod_perl 1.3.  I recently decided to add PHP 5 to it.  I
re-compiled Apache using this howto
http://perl.apache.org/docs/1.0/guide/install.html#mod_perl_and_mod_php

When I look at the Apache logs, I am seeing the PHP is being loaded

[Thu Jun 25 10:09:14 2009] [notice] Apache/1.3.41 (Unix) PHP/5.2.5
mod_perl/1.30 configured -- resuming normal operations

I have added AddType application/x-httpd-php .php, and the AddHandler
to the httpd.conf file, and index.php to DirectoryIndex.  When I try
to display php info in a browser, the browser tries download the php
instead of displaying the page.  I've tried a bunch of different
commands in the conf file, none have seemed to work.  Ive added
Action, or AddType script-php5, or adding as text/html at which point
the page displays but it doesn't parse the php.

I should also mention that mod_perl is working and there aren't any
issues there.

When I check the mod-list I get the following:

# /usr/local/apache/bin/httpd -l
Compiled-in modules:
  http_core.c
  mod_env.c
  mod_log_config.c
  mod_mime.c
  mod_negotiation.c
  mod_status.c
  mod_info.c
  mod_include.c
  mod_autoindex.c
  mod_dir.c
  mod_cgi.c
  mod_asis.c
  mod_imap.c
  mod_actions.c
  mod_userdir.c
  mod_alias.c
  mod_access.c
  mod_auth.c
  mod_so.c
  mod_setenvif.c
  mod_perl.c
  mod_php5.c

As far as I can tell, everything is set up properly, but Im missing
something.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.