Zend_execute.lo causing Out Of Memory error during compile

I’ve been trying to recompile the latest release of PHP 5.2.9 on RedHat CentOS 5.3 and gcc is giving me:

cc1: out of memory allocating ### bytes after …

while trying to compile zend_execute.lo

I’ve tried the –disable-inline switch in the PHP configuration line, because I saw that as a possibly solution from years ago, but PHP didn’t even know what that was apparently when I did it.  Any idea how to get it compiled?

Also, I haven’t used this list before, so I hope I’m posting correctly and following any rules, which I couldn’t find anywhere ;)

Thanks,

Joe Marty