Unable to open .php file in browser.

hi,

I have installed php5 and also configured it to work with IIS. I am able to open the file info.php in the browser. this file just shows a listing of the different values, but if I add a simple print("new"); to the file i am not able to see this string in the browser. I also tried to put this statement in a new php file and tried to open but was no able to open. I got  HTTP 500 Internal Server Error.  Please advise what action has to be taken to rectify this.

Devout

Twice the fun— Share photos while you chat with Windows Live Messenger.