Re: Help!

On Sun, 13 Apr 2008, Bryan wrote:
To: php-install@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Bryan <bac512@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject:  Help!

I've just set up my Apache server with mySql and PHP, and for the most part everything works fine, except:

I can't embed PHP in an HTML file (if my server starts up with INDEX.HTML I can't do anything with PHP, is this possible, or am I just off the deepend here?)

In httpd.conf look for lines like this:

# AddType allows you to add to or override the MIME configuration
# file mime.types for specific file types.
AddType application/x-httpd-php .php
AddType application/x-httpd-php .hml
AddType application/x-httpd-php .htm
AddType application/x-httpd-php .html
AddType application/x-httpd-php .conf
AddType application/x-httpd-php .js

Any file with a name ending in any of the above filename extensions will be processed by the Apache php module. Make your own up as required, within reason of course.

Also, when I run a PHP file, it doesn't seem to pay any attention to the \n in the echo or print statements. I copied the examples straight from the examples on PHP.Net, and I installed everything exactly as the instructions said to, but from reading all the comments and such, it appears I'm the only one having these problems? What's going on/what am I doing wrong?

There are two version of PHP - the Apache module one that you seem to be using. There is also a command line version of PHP, that you can execute directly from the command line.

The examples that use "\n" for newlines you found are written for the command line version of PHP.

If you type:

$ php -a

at the command line, you will enter PHP CLI interactive mode. You can then use PHP like a BASIC interpreter. This version of PHP will expect a newline to be \n.

When you code for the Apache PHP module you will need to use <br /> for your newlines, as any output from the PHP Apache module will be sent to the browser, and must be in (x)html format. (The browser expects <br /> as a newline, not \n, and vica versa for the CLI version of PHP.)

HTH

Keith Roberts

Websites:
http://www.php-debuggers.net