Re: Re: build fails: conflict over /tmp/pear/cache - workaround

Sriram Natarajan <Sriram.Natarajan@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> Did you try exporting PHP_PEAR_TEMP_DIR and PHP_PEAR_CACHE_DIR
> environment variables to a different location before building with
> '--with-pear' option

PHP_PEAR_TEMP_DIR seemed to have no effect.

PHP_PEAR_CACHE_DIR did the trick.  It used that directory during the
build, but after I installed it, it no longer seems to be using it,
which is exactly what I wanted.

My rpm .spec file now has these commands in it:
 mkdir -p $RPM_BUILD_ROOT/pearcache
 make INSTALL_ROOT=$RPM_BUILD_ROOT PHP_PEAR_CACHE_DIR=$RPM_BUILD_ROOT/pearcache install
 rm -rf $RPM_BUILD_ROOT/pearcache

... and that successfully builds PHP with PEAR even when it has no
permissions to /tmp/pear/cache.

I saw no mention of either of these environment variable names in any
PHP or PEAR documentation, or in the Makefiles.  Now that I know it
works, I tried to see if it occurs anywhere in the unpacked tar file,
and the only hit is:

>grep PHP_PEAR_CACHE_DIR */*
Binary file pear/install-pear-nozlib.phar matches

... but the next person who encounters this problem will hopefully
find this message when they Google for it.

Thank you!