Re: [PHP] Cross-Post: Installing on Palm Treo?

On Sat, Feb 23, 2008 at 4:58 AM, Larry Garfield <larry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Um.  Palm OS Garnet (what every remotely modern Treo runs) is completely
>  incapable of running multiple simultaneous processes without hacking the OS
>  beyond recognition.  It is an absolutely horrid concept for a server, if it
>  were even possible to port Apache, MySQL, and PHP to Palm OS (which in no way
>  resembles Unix, Linux, Windows, or anything even remotely Posix).  I don't
>  know if anyone has successfully managed to port Linux to a modern Treo, but
>  even if they had it would be just to prove that they can, not because it
>  would be actually usable.
>
>  Seriously, don't even waste time thinking about making a Palm device into a
>  dev server.  There are some mobile devices you can do that to; this ain't one
>  of them.
>
>  (Disclaimer: I currently own and use a Treo 680, and used to work as an IT
>  journalist reviewing, among other things, Palm handhelds and smartphones.
>  That was a few years ago, but I've not heard anything to suggest that
>  anything has even remotely changed in this regard.  In fact, everything I
>  hear is lamenting that it hasn't. <g>)

    Thanks for the insight, Larry.  Much appreciated.

    However, as stated, I'm using (yes, I did buy it) the Palm 700wx,
which has Windows Mobile 5.0.  I should've mentioned the operating
system, but I figured those familiar with Palm devices would recognize
the ###p and ###w/###wx letter-endings.  ;-P  (Just kidding.... I only
realized it myself this morning.  I've had about 0.0001% experience
with Palm before this weekend.)

    So perhaps a better question is, has anyone had any luck doing
WAMP on Windows Mobile (specifically v5.0)?

--
</Dan>

Daniel P. Brown
Senior Unix Geek
<? while(1) { $me = $mind--; sleep(86400); } ?>