Re: PHP v5.2.5 installation

On Wed, 5 Dec 2007, Jesse Santana wrote:

To: Keith Roberts <keith@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Jesse Santana <jsantana@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re:  PHP v5.2.5 installation

Keith,

Thank you for the '--with-readline' suggestion, I've just finished testing this and it works great! I'm working on moving this over to production now.

Jesse

Jesse Santana
Project Lead - Enterprise Services Group
Information Technology Services
California State University, Long Beach
1250 Bellflower Blvd.
Long Beach, CA  90840
Office: (562)985-8511
Fax:     (562)985-8855

Pleased to be of help Jesse. Here are some links your students might find usefull.

I was searching around sourceforge yesterday for a decent free PHP debugger GUI for Linux. Found this little gem:

Documentation etc:
http://protoeditor.sourceforge.net/

Screenshots:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/protoeditor/

It supports local and remote PHP debugging, using either DBG or xdebug php extension modules, or Gubed.

I'm still trying to get it up and running. The tutorial looks quite helpfull, so do the other links to setting up PHP debugging with ProtoEditor.

I can't get on at all with the DGB extension. I found trustudio Eclipse plugin worked out of the box - it uses xdebug and is all setup for local PHP debugging. Only problem it uses version 3.0 of Eclipse. It crashed version 3.1 of Eclipse. However not tested it yet on any of the latest versions of Eclipse. I might try and get ProtoEditor working with xdebug as a local debugger.

Also, for viewing info and man pages have you tried pinfo:

I can't stand info. There is no sane way to navigate and get around the docs with that. I stumbled across this neat little command-line man page viewer, that is included as part of Fedora 8. It's brilliant!

http://pinfo.sourceforge.net/

Pinfo - A lynx-style info and man reader

Pinfo is an info file viewer. It was created when the author, Przemek Borys, was very depressed trying to read gtk info entries using the standard tools.

Pinfo is similar in use to lynx [and you don't need X running to use it either]. It has similar key movements, and gives similar intuition. You just move across info nodes, and select links, follow them... Well, you know how it is when you view html with lynx. :) It supports as many colors as it could.

Pinfo also supports viewing of manual pages -- they're colorised like in the midnight commander's viewer, and additionaly they are hypertextualized (i.e. when pinfo encounters a reference of form manualname (n), then you can press enter there, and voila -- you're on the page for `manualname'.

Keyboard and colors are fully configurable. Pinfo supports URL's embedded into info documents and man.

So instead of doing:

# man some-man-page

or

# info some-man-page-you-wish-you'd-never-visited

if you do:

# pinfo some-man-page

pinfo will locate it and display it in a lynx-like way.

Things like:

# pinfo grub

are a breeze. I might even be able to learn how GRUB works, now I can actually read the docs for it and find my way around!

Regards

Keith Roberts

in practice they are not.

Websites:
http://www.karsites.net
http://www.raised-from-the-dead.org.uk

This email address (and all domain email addesses) are
challenge-response protected with TMDA - http://tmda.net