Re: PHP v5.2.5 installation

Keith,

Thank you for the feedback.  I do tar up my PHP directory before performing an upgrade and I keep these tar files around indefinitely so I can always reference them if needed.  I install PHP in the same directory each time because we are running PHP as a CLI and I don't have access to all the scripts that our 25 different webmasters and countless students have written.  The last thing I want to do is to have to tell everyone to change the shebang line in each script every time I upgrade PHP.  We have tossed around the idea of a soft link but for now we continue to tar up the old directory and replace it with the new.

I was able to determine that my problem was related to the --with-openssl addition in my configure statement.  As soon as I changed that to --with-openssl=/usr/local/ssl, the make completed successfully.  The mysql_set_character undefined symbol error was sort of misleading but it's not the first time I've seen something like this.

Jesse

Jesse Santana
Project Lead - Enterprise Services Group
Information Technology Services
California State University, Long Beach
1250 Bellflower Blvd.
Long Beach, CA  90840
Office: (562)985-8511
Fax:     (562)985-8855

Keith Roberts <keith@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

12/05/2007 07:17 AM

Please respond to
Keith Roberts <keith@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

php-install@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
cc
Subject
Re: PHP v5.2.5 installation

On Tue, 4 Dec 2007, Jesse Santana wrote:

> To: php-install@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> From: Jesse Santana <jsantana@xxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: PHP v5.2.5 installation
>
> I am running a Solaris 10 (SPARC) system that has Apache 2.2.6 and PHP
> v5.2.2 installed.  PHP is running as a CLI and not as an Apache module.
> The system works fine.  I am now in the process of upgrading PHP to
> version 5.2.5 using the following configuration parameters:
>
> ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/php5 --with-openssl \

Not sure if this answers your prob at all - but it may help
keep things apart in the future and avoid any other conflicts.

Would it be a better option to compile each version of PHP
(and any other compiled software, including different
versions of Apache (http, https)) into it's own subdirectory
under /usr/local?

That way you will have the previous version for reference
purposes, and also as a 'fallback' untill you have your
latest version up and running? These are the main reasons I
like to compile php and apache myself. It's handy just
copying the configuration files from the old version across
to the new version, without messing up the previous
version's installation.

./configure --prefix=/usr/local/php-5.2.5

I would be inclined to do a 'make clean' in the php-5.2.5
source dir, and try again with the above installation
prefix. See what that does.

HTH

Keith Roberts

> --with-oci8=instantclient,/usr/local/oracle/instantclient_10_2 \
> --with-mysql=/usr/local/mysql --with-mysql-sock=/tmp/mysql.sock \
> --with-zlib-dir=/usr/local/lib \
> --enable-fastcgi --with-xsl \
> --with-mcrypt=/usr/local/libmcrypt --enable-mbstring \
> --with-ldap
>
> The configure finishes fine but when I run make I get the following error:
>
> Undefined                       first referenced
> symbol                             in file
> mysql_set_character_set             ext/mysql/php_mysql.o
> ld: fatal: Symbol referencing errors. No output written to
> sapi/cgi/php-cgi
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> *** Error code 1
> make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `sapi/cgi/php-cgi'

Can you do a clean compile without building the php-cgi
module? If so this may give you a clue where the problem is.