Re: PHP doesn't work with Apache2

On Nov 25, 2007, at 08:28:09, ApplePro wrote:

BuildSmart <buildsmart <at> daleenterprise.com> writes:

Dale, the problem was with apache config file. I've deleted it and uploaded new
one. Now everything works fine, all modules, apache, everything.

Thanks so much for your advices and help. I'm really appreciated.

That doesn't make sense.

If it was loading and working with the module in "/usr/src/php-5.2.3/libs/libphp5.so" then it should have worked loading the module from "/usr/lib64/httpd/modules/libphp5.so".

You're only talking about changing one line in your httpd.conf file and I find it hard to believe that changing this one line didn't work but changing the entire httpd.conf file did.

old line: (worked according to you)
LoadModule php5_module //usr/src/php-5.2.3/libs/libphp5.so

The file "/usr/lib64/httpd/modules/libphp5.so" exists after "make install".
new line: (should have worked but didn't)
LoadModule php5_module /usr/lib64/httpd/modules/libphp5.so

What appears in this line now?

RULE OF THUMB
"/usr/sbin/apxs -q LIBEXECDIR" should tell you where apache module should reside.

So, if the libphp5.so module is in this directory and "LoadModule php5_module /usr/lib64/httpd/modules/libphp5.so" or  "LoadModule php5_module modules/libphp5.so" is in your httpd.conf file it should work.

If it doesn't then I suspect you have something else wrong and your installation is tainted.

This is another reason why I don't like anyone else's packages, you have no clue if the maintainer has structured the package to be environmentally compliant or he just put things where he wanted so conflicts and missing dependancies are inevitable when you start mixing packages from different maintainers.

I'm also finding that very few developers use a gcc installation that compiles for more than one architecture and of those that are using a single hard-coded architecture compiler, they vary from i386 to i686 depending on the packager with no standardization in mind.

It doesn't require much more disk space to have a compiler that is defined for i386 and x86_68, it will still compile for i486, i586 and i686 and the ability to build for multiple architectures in a single binary means that a single build will work in 32bit or 64bit OS's.

Maybe I'm just used to building once and deploying multiple rather then building many and deploying each single build.

-- Dale