Re: MySQL connector installation/upgrade problems

David Zentgraf wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to upgrade a server running CentOS 3 to an up-to-date MySQL 5
> installation + PHP4. I installed the MySQL 5 package, server and client,
> via RPMs and they work fine, the client tells me it's version 5.0.45. I
> went on to recompile PHP 4.4.7 --with-mysql, but it's still using MySQL
> client libraries version 3.23.58. I'm kind of at a loss where it takes
> these versions from or how I can get it to use the newer libraries.
>
> Any hints would be greatly appreciated.

Do rpm -qa --nosignature | grep -i mysql and see what old libraries you
have lying around. Specifically look for the devel libraries/packages.
Remove the 3.x versions via RPM and make sure you've installed the
relevant -devel package from MySQL 5.

You can also use the MySQL 5 -shared-compat package to replace the
shared libraries needed by other apps in Fedora, although you may have
to do an "rpm -e --nodeps" to get rid of the currently installed library
prior to installing -shared-compat due to file conflicts. I always like
to test that this has worked tho (typically testing one of the apps in
the packages rpm moaned about when doing a normal "rpm -e" (sans
--nodeps) or by trying to rpm -e the newly installed -shared-compat just
to make sure it is providing the correct deps at least!

HTH

<gripe>
Be warned tho. If you use custom aggregate UDFs in MySQL 5 it the
current version will segfault on you. I tore my hair out over this.
Upstream MySQL have been pretty crap at responding or releasing
something that I reported months ago. The fact they removed all the
daily snapshots has not helped me help them to fix it either.

http://bugs.mysql.com/bug.php?id=30312

I had to stick with 5.0.27 for now.
</gripe>

Col