Problems with zlib in solaris

Hello everybody!

I have a problem with the uncompress function gzuncompress() that tries to run from PHP, the message received is:
"Wrong file format. No data recognized, Decoding Error:  No decompressor available for compressed content. gzcompress()/gzuncompress() functions are not available!"

The zlib package appears registered in solaris, the libz.so file is there and has been configured in php.ini:

Output_handler =
Zlib.output_compression = On

but it does not appear when we check with phpinfo() which give you the platform configuration (see attached html file).  We expect ythat it should appear as a Registered PHP Streams such as php, http, ftp in the PHP Version 4.4.5 table in the attached html file, or shuld t appear somewhere else.

The server SPARC Sun Blade is configured with:
Solaris 9 / Apache 2.0.59 / MySQL 5.0.41 /
PHP 4.4.9 / Zlib 1.2.3

Do you know what might be causing this problem or if there is something missing? Any known incompatibilities?

--
Fernando Hermoza