From: Michael Kress [mailto:kress@xxxxxxxxxxx] Sent: Friday, March 02, 2007 3:21 PM
To: php-install list
Subject:  php-4.4.* on x86_64

hi there, I've got a dual xeon x86_64 and I got centos-4.4 installed on it (it's actually a XenU machine). Centos-4.4 comes with php-4.3 but for

some reason I have to install php-4.4. Now my problem is that I can't get the thing compiled. I tried with this package:
http://3es.atomicrocketturtle.com/packages/php/php-4.4.4-1.art.src.rpm
which compiles and works perfectly on i386 but it fails to compile on x86_64. Unfortunately it's no longer supported by art.

So I played around a little bit with that src.rpm i.e. I built lib64-patches because during configure phase there were lots of 'not found messages'. I made the beast find my lib64 stuff i.e. I modified all the config.m4 files in the ext subdirs, I even changed libtool from 1.5 to 1.4 (which seems to be a requirement), but after all, I couldn't compile it as more and more errors arose.

Then I tried plain php i.e. the tar.gz, but even that didn't lead me to a successfully built binary, there were these lib64 issues, so even the plain tar.gz showed up that it still has to be patched.

Any suggestions, how can I get php compiled on the x86_64 architecture?
Is there any comprehensive guide on how to set up a build environment for php(-4.4)?
Has anybody successfully built an rpm for php-4.4 for centos-4?
Of course, an rpm would be my preference in order to keep the system capable of being updated easily.

TIA
Regards,
Michael

--