Re: Newbie help - getting PHP 5.2.0 to work with Apache 2.2.4 on Windows Server 2003

With apache 2.2.4 there's an additional file you have to edit.

Simply add the following lines to conf/mime.types

application/x-httpd-php	php
application/x-httpd-php-source	phps

And you should be fine.

Bryan Garmon wrote:
I'm pulling my hair out trying to figure out what is wrong with my web server configuration.

This is a new server build with with no previous PHP or Apache installations on the server.

I'm downloaded and installed Apache 2.2.4 then downloaded the PHP 5.2.0 Zip Package Windows Binaries from http://us3.php.net/downloads.php

I followed step by step the manual installation process for PHP 5.2.0 using the installation instructions found here:

http://us3.php.net/manual/en/install.windows.manual.php

then being new to .php I visited:
http://www.php.net/manual/en/tutorial.firstpage.php

When I try to open the .PHP file referenced in example 1, directly on the server using Internet Explorer 7, the IE file download wizard dialog box pops up and prompts me to either "open or save" the file, I choose "open," and instead of opening, the same dialog box pops back up. It's an infinite loop until I choose cancel.

Why is IE 7 not able to open the file?

So I installed Firefox 2 on the server and the php example file loads properly.

So PHP is working right? I'm not quite sure. So I follow Example 2-2:

<?php phpinfo(); ?>

The behavior is the same in IE7 with the dialog box just looping, but in Firefox I end up with a blank screen trying to load the phpinfo.

So Looking at the PHP FAQ http://us3.php.net/manual/en/faq.installation.php#faq.installation.blankscreen

It tells me something is wrong with the server configuration (not exactly helpful).

Apache appears to be fine as my website that is hosted on it is loading fine. The website currently does not use PHP at all.

When I look at the error.log file for apache, each time the server is restarted I see the following entry:

[notice] Apache/2.2.4 (Win32) PHP/5.2.0 configured -- resuming normal operations

Does this mean PHP is working? I just don't understand what's not functioning that is preventing the phpinfo command from running.

I added 3 lines to the Apache httpd.conf file which are:

LoadModule php5_module "c:/php/php5apache2_2.dll"
AddType application/x-httpd-php .php
PHPIniDir c:/php/

I also added c:\php to the PATH Windows System Variable, and I also added a new system variable called PHPRC and it references c:\php

Any help or suggestions for fixing these problems would be greatly appreciated.