Re: Installation Problem

What I have done is to "uninstall" PHP5 and "re-installed" PHP 4.4.4 so as
to find out if I can connect to the MYSQL Database.

In PHP 4 the MySQL extension was built-in so there was no need to enable it after installing PHP. This changed with PHP 5. The installation of this extension is shown on http://de.php.net/manual/en/ref.mysql.php.

Additional you have to move the file libmysql.dll to a directory in which PHP will look for it as described on http://de.php.net/manual/en/install.windows.extensions.php.

Likewise, I want to upgrade to MYSQL 4.x. If I do this, am I going to loose
my database and tables? Do i have to create them again?

Normally this is no problem but it is always a good idea to make a backup before updating your software. The upgrade process is described in detail on http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/upgrade.html.

Greetings