PHP.ini file install issue.

This is a php.ini issue. Apache/1.3.37 (Unix) PHP/5.1.4.

I copy the php.ini-recommended file to php.ini reload apache and doing a
simple <?phpinfo()?> gets me just blank screen. No errors in logs or on
screen.

But when I run an sql query via php it works fine. I can add, delete,
query etc on my sql stuff and other regular php stuff seems to work.

So I copy over the php.ini-dist file to php.ini, reload apache and do a
<?phpinfo()?> again and I get all the php info that normally shows up with
a phpinfo. Again all my sql stuff works as expected.

Anyone shed light on what gives? I ran a diff against the two files and
there are not that many changes, though options taht are off in the
-recommended file are on in the -dist file.

Thanks.