Characters missing from CURL posts

Hi there,

I'm using php 5.1.4 standalone to run some scripts.  I have a problem where I am submitting £ (uk pound) sign as part of an HTTP post to another server.  I am urlencoding the data before adding it as the CURLOPT_POSTFIELDS option and when I check the urlencoded string, I can see the %A3 representing the £ sign in the post.  Is there something I could be doing wrong which is causing this to be stripped before sending it to the other server?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Regards,

Andrew