php 5 and GD with Freetype

I'm trying to get php 5 installed with both GD and Freetype support.

The thing is, I'm having trouble getting the Freetype support which apparently GD (or at least the php extensions) uses to generate fonts in images.

When I run ./configure, I do not see anything at all related to Freetype, such as -enable-freetype or -with-freetype, or anything like that.

Thus far, I've got php 5 working with GD support, but no Freetype support.

Any ideas?