Re: RPM Updates

Hi,

I've never used an RPM before, but I can't imagine the PHP RPM would be
complicated as installing PHP is usually pretty straight-forward.  You may even
want to compile PHP yourself, it's not so difficult ... in fact PHP is the
first application I ever compiled.  It's also handy to be able to re-compile
later with more features.  Just be wary of stray PHP4 executables which may be
left behind in /usr/bin.

regards,
Peter

--- Steven Michaels <steven.michaels@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am relatively new to the Linux environment, and want to update my PHP and
> Apache to the latest versions.  In the past, I downloaded the sources and
> compiled them.  I've already been through a MySQL update which was
> relatively painless, but I have a few questions when it comes to the PHP and
> Apache.  The following packages are installed:
>
> php-4.3.11-1.fc2.3.legacy.1.swsoft
> httpd-2.0.51-2.9.1.swsoft
>
> I'm tempted to download the RPMs that don't have swsoft in them, but I'm
> also very wary of things that I haven't tried before and don't know will
> work properly.  If this is possible to accomplish, do I need to go through
> any extra steps, or is it just as simple as the MySQL update was with a "rpm
> -Uvh MySQL...." command?
>
> Also...I've done a little research on swsoft - seems to be related to Plesk,
> which I don't have installed on my server...it just came with these packages
> installed.
>
> Thank you in advance for any help!  Please don't hesitate to contact me
> directly.
> --
> - Steven Michaels
>   steven.michaels@xxxxxxxxx
>   http://www.HollowGame.com/

On Yahoo!7
Dating: It's free to join and check out our great singles!
http://www.yahoo7.com.au/personals