Re: New photographs in PF members gallery on May 15, 2021 Re: Lois Greenfield photo

RE: Lois Greenfield portrait - the caption pretty much explains the method. The image was not made with a standard camera but rather the camera I made had installed within it a line array of photosensitive pixels. A “linear array”. These are used primarily in scanners but also in photofinisher cameras to determine the order of finish of racers. In the case of flat bed scanners the array is moved so over time it captures the details of a document or other subject placed on the platen. You are cautioned not to move the document while it is scanned so as not to introduce distortion in the record.

If for some reason the scanner did not move its sensor then you would simply have a series of parallel lines of density depending on the light level present on the scanning element. The linear array.

OK . so I “destroyed” a scanner. A hand scanner. A document scanner that you have to draw across a document in order to make a copy. Within it there is a linear array. I took the array out of it and placed it into a gutted 35mm film camera. Placed it in the middle of the image gate of the camera. I extended the wiring from the array installed into the camera to the now senseless hardware but into the scanner. To make a record I rolled the scanner over a document and sure enough the record produced showed a series of horizontal lines of density (or signal if you prefer).

However, if the optics of the camera put an image of a changing subject on the array the surface detail of whatever that subject is gets recorded sequentially and if recording rates match the image input rates of the changing features of the subject, then a pretty good reproduction of those features is displayed in the final record.

If a subject located in front rotates, thereby showing different areas to the linear array, the record ultimately displayed will show the surface of the rotating subject displayed as a flat 2-dimensional record. This is called a rollout photograph or a peripheral photograph or record.

If the recording rate is too fast then the subject features get stretched out. If too slow things get compressed. In the case of human heads different areas move at different speeds so situation is introduced. If the camera is misaligned then further distortion can occur. This is the case with Lois Greenfield’s portrait.

I have a more complete description and illustrations in a couple of online articles you can get at:

http://www.davidhazy.org/andpph/text-demo-scanner-cam.html

http://www.davidhazy.org/andpph/text-better-scanner-cam.html

http://www.davidhazy.org/andpph/text-basic-digital-rollout.html (no illustrations in this one)

BTW, while this photograph was made with a digital system there is historic precedent to the method dating back to the late 1800s. Panoramic cameras such as the Kodak Cirkut camera worked on this principle. So did archeological cameras used to make records of pottery and similar objects, and also the racetrack photofinish camera from the 1930s. And more. But i’ll stop here!

Andy