Re: Dark bands on horses

On Jan 28, 2018, at 9:22 PM, Elson T. Elizaga <elson@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Please see http://www.wired.co.uk/article/gaze-at-the-spilling-lava-of-erupting-mount-mayon.
>
> The horses have dark bands occupying lower halves of their bodies. What do you these are?
>
> I was thinking of excessive shutter speed beyond flash synchronization, but the apparent result is uneven. Perhaps there is a building behind the photographer, and behind the building a bright light, different from the intensity of the on-camera flash.

I wonder whether the photographer, not understanding light fall off, tried to use some kind of barn door shade to block the flash from lighting the mountain, and instead it  blocked the flash from the horses.

A curves adjustment in Photoshop could have taken care of the entire problem.

Emily L. Ferguson
mailto:elf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
774-392-0022
http://www.landsedgephoto.com