Question on Red Filter B&W Photography

I just had a scan made of 2 rolls of B&W film that i shot in a fortress/city. (with No corrections in a color minilab)
Where it was applicable I shot both with and without a red filter.
What surprised me was that in the red filter frames, both the vegetation and the rock walls turned out lighter than I thought they would.
Does that stand to reason?

Or is it a metering issue?
(my process was to meter the sky and walls separately, then average. Which usually turned out to use the wall metering at 0 to -1 stop. I did not meter again with the red filter, i just kept the no-filter stop down)