Re: Sharpness of lens

Roy asks:

I was reading a lens review in Pop Photo and it said the lens was sharpest two stops down. Is the old adage 2 stops down is sharpest  still true like an optical law.  To get the sharpest image at f/5.6 should I buy a f/2.8 lens?

it was a general guide and often proved accurate but the only real way is to test.

I discovered the accuracy of this in the same place I leanred most about photography, in the darkroom  - racking an enlarger up to full height and test printing at all apertures  you'll discover some lenses only produce truly sharp images at a single aperture and while often it was a couple of stops down, others might be sharpest wide open and others near fully closed.   In this case the Fujitsu range surprised me, they were often sharp across 3 stops.  very good lenses.

I recall a couple of 50mm lenses in the Pentax range (possibly discussed here before) that should have been faster than they were but they had fixed aperture disks inside the lenses making their widest aperture something like f2.8 - if you pulled these lenses apart to remove the disk you could make them 1.8 lenses -  it led me to guess Pentax had designed them as 1.8's but discovering them to be very soft, they'd restricted the lenses to ensure no one had access to using the sub-standard wider speeds.   lens fault sure, but they overcame it to make a good lens..   I guess they figured they were better off making sharper lenses than playing the fast lens game as other makers were doing.

having said this, soft lenses aren't necessarily bad, but consumers were less likely to make generally good images with soft lenses and it would have hurt the company.. it's better for them to aim for something that's please most consumers rather than giving them lenses which require the user to learn how to best use them

Old camera magazines often listed sharpness characteristics or lines per mm resolving power across the aperture range for lenses they tested - this became a fixation for some, getting the sharpest lenses and dismissing anything that didn't hit the big numbers - but the snare in this was they were only testing a single lens.  Quality control might be good but it's not so good that all lenses will be equal.

A long time back I wrote up my results testing some Canon macro lenses, I had FL and FD 50mm's and 100mm's, the FDs sold for more at the time being newer but the FL's were the same quality or better so I sold the FDs for a tidy profit and kept the FLs.  (From memory both were at their sharpest at 2 apertures 4 and 5.6 )   Later I tested an ugly little Russian macro  whcih was sharp, much sharper than any of the Canons I tested across a whole 4 stops from wide open to  f8 - ths lens I kept !   putting up with disaproving stares from other photographers was a small price to pay for sharper images.

Again this is all with the caveat that 'sharp' has some meaning.   I've often used a certain print in classes (warning: contains boob) http://members.iinet.net.au/~shahjen/images/quickwash.jpg - the print looks sharp because the negative was developed with high accutance devloper , it was printed sharply using the sharpest aperture on the enlarger and by taking the time during enlarging to allow the neg to take it's final heated position in the carrier before the paper was exposed..

it was one I used to show students a number of things, that printing sharply was something that took skill and technique and you couldn't just expect the enlarger to do it for you, and it also demonstrated that when printed sharp, even a badly out of focus image can look sharp (and good).  And even with all that sharpness and grain the image , the image can still appear soft (coming from a from a soft lens)    Basically, you can make good (subjective) images from even chipped, damaged garbage soft lenses if you know how best to use them.    I don't think I'd have gotten as good an image from a good lens in this case.

Other things that contributing to sharpness beyond the aperture picked is the steadiness of the camera and often forgotten, the lens contrast.  Even poor sharpness lenses with masking lens shades like you see in cinema use can produce excellent images, often better than unshaded 'sharp' lenses when non-image forming light is excluded from the frame.

The above example is just a pictorial image though, for technical images I'd have reached for my sharpest lens.  I'd only know which apertures are sharp by testing the specific lens.