Subject: Re: Debunking the telephoto lens myth?
From: Herschel Mair <herschphoto@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, February 19, 2016 9:48 am
To: PhotoForum educational network <photoforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

TECHNICALLY it's a myth... CREATIVELY, a longer lens allows you to get further away from your subject and by so doing gives you a flatter perspective. Why over-think this? If I want to shoot a jewelry shot on a model, I use the 300mm f:2.8 because it allows me to get the flattened background and  it allows me to get tiny DOF.... I don't use the 24mm and then crop it... There's no way for me to do that pic unless I have that lens... Technical perspectives are only as useful as they support the creative eye. Beyond that they are for technicians, not photographers