Re: Debunking the telephoto lens myth?

Ok, Andy, that bit about too complex for freshman is scary. Do the Admin really believe that?  Advanced math background?  Who thought it takes advanced math.   Jack Karpen made us take a 28, 50, and some telephoto and on the same tripod take the same picture not moving the camera.  Then blow up the 2 shorter lenses to match the telephoto, TADA!   I'm not sure where the advanced math part comes into play in learning the basic principle.  explaining it with Math sure ok math then. I don't recall doing any math in Jacks first year JPHL class.  I hated M&P with a crazy passion, I recommend the textbook to people at least 10 times a year.  Your comments at the end of the link are just kind of a sad comment on the state of things photography.  That's basic math. It doesn't go into why the distant object is not affected (measurably by eye) by the camera move. So kind of just sad.