Processing image files - continued from the digest header

I shoot exclusively in RAW with my professional equipment and use the raw converter in Photoshop 6.5 to manage image processing.  Because I invested in Photoshop back in 1999 or so, I have not had to puchase the full version for many years.

I haven’t looked at Elements in a long time, but 5 or 6 years ago it was an acceptable starter app for those serious enough to shoot in RAW or its equivalent.

The most important thing to keep in mind, to me, about using RAW or DNG is that those file formats retain all the data the camera collects and thus enable you to interpret your image data according to your skills and personal vision.  Once you learn how to manage the tools that your image processor offers, you can go anywhere with the data in your captured file.

Personally, I would prefer to have the option, than to be stuck with whatever the camera told me was all it would give me, which is what JPG is.

But, the learning curve is interesting, and requires that you care, and care enough to learn.  It also requires that you have the time!

Emily L. Ferguson
mailto:elf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
774-269-5968
http://www.landsedgephoto.com