Re: camera clubs

Interesting, and quite sad.

In late 2008 I decided that I wanted to try photographing nudes. I had been studying the work of others and knew what I liked, and didn’t. There was a group near where I live that held what they termed workshops every two weeks. They would bring in models, who knew what the sessions were and were paid, provide a studio location with pre-set lighting, and some experienced photographer from whom you could see how it was done. Some even produced images of reasonable quality. This gave me enough experience and contacts, plus a reputation of being respectful, that I branched out into doing private sessions.

There are plenty of photographers who are making work of high quality and creatively interesting and who properly compensate models. There are also plenty known by the term Guy with Camera (GWC), who are mostly looking to spend time around nude women and do their best to get photographs showing whatever they can without the models knowing. Unfortunately, for those of us who are serious, they make it hard to earn the trust of new models, as do the camera clubs in the article. At least most GWC’s pay their models.

Regarding the image I submitted this week, Inna is someone I have known for about 6 years, having first met her at one of the group workshops. Over the past two years we have worked together, privately, at least 12 times, in a studio and outdoors in a number of places, paid each time.

Mark Harris