Re: PNG for prints?

PNG  was designed as an open source replacement for GIF which is patented and belongs to somebody (I think it's compuserve... too lazy to google it)
It uses  lossless compression.(I think it's LZW or very similar)  and should give you an image without the square artifacts associated with Jpegs) It also supports transparency which made it very popular with web designers. However it was designed for the web and RGB color platforms and does not support CMYK. so it is not recommended for printing where it must eventually translate into CMYK.
Does that help... You should check the facts... they're off the top of my head. (I've made decent prints from PNGs btw).
Herschel