Re: PhotoForum Digest, Vol 57, Issue 1

The two pictures are nowhere near being exact copies - and it is not beyond coincidence that two photographers with similar interests/customers could arrive at vaguely similar efforts; although it is equally possible that one has been inspired by “prior art”.  You would alas be unable, in my opinion, to convince a Court that any infringement of you copyright has taken place.

In a simple example - if I take a photo of a London bus that must not ban all others from also submitting pictures of a London bus, even if in the same location, unless the viewpoint has been exactly duplicated, and it is the SAME bus.

And another example - most photographic magazines show examples of readers’ work - does that ban me from going to the same location and taking a similar picture; I don’t think it does.  Now if I got hold of the other persons picture file to pass it off as my own - THAT would be a copyright infringement, or even a criminal offence of theft possibly.

Sorry Jan, you did ask !

dan (the artiste formerly known as Dan Mitchell)