Re: PHOTOFORUM digest 6634/arty stuff

OK, let's talk about "ART" then - my opinion is that photographs are seldom "art" - they are what they are, photographs, nice photos., brilliant photos., perhaps even "artistic" in content; but rarely "ART" in the manner of a drawing, painting, or sculpture, where the author needs  ability way beyond pressing a shutter button. I realise that some members of this august body feel differently, especially when the photo. is taken on "real" film in something big rather than in a camera phone with only 41 M pixels to its name.

At my age now I'm too old, and too frail, to handle a view camera, a 4x5, or even a Hasselblad, but with the wonders of modern electronics I can always have a 41M pixel camera with me (Nokia 1020, produces even raw images) whose weight I hardly notice.  I have no illusions that I'm producing 'ART", I hope my regular contributions, which will indeed continue as long as Andrew choses to publish them, are pleasing images.

But still I occasionally use film; my latest use being in a Canon 7 with f/1.4 lens, but that will no more produce art than any other of my few vintage real cameras - it's the "seeing-eye" of the person behind the lens which is the only thing that matters.

We are in danger in this little group of discouraging prospective new/young members if we, too often, get all arty-farty, saying things like "Phone photography has gotten so simple that any boob with $300 can become a photo hero" - as if phone photography was, somehow, some sort of inferior activity.

Ok guys, there it is, I've said my piece - over to you now.

Dan (the phone photographer formerly known as Dan Mitchell, once, even, 40 years ago having gained a Uk ARPS distinction)