Re: PHOTOFORUM digest 6632

Well. I am not afraid to express myself….

Just me,

Klaus

On Oct 16, 2014, at 3:50 PM, Jan Faul <jan@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Since you have outed yourself as a sexist pig in your next post, I guess it is fair to ask why if you’re going to shoot a chair in dead center of a frame wit ha very O’Keefian steer skull on it, why there could not be a nude sitting there with it in her lap?  Although there do not seem to be any set ‘rules’ other than the Rule of Thirds (which nobody told me about until I was 41 (and that includes AA), I generally prefer to see objects displayed as ’art’ pieces in the frame as an off-center element. As I recall, when I recently  asked a photographer about why something was dead center, I was met with the reply of “Why not?” Why not? Because it is static and as artists ,we try to maintain a sense of flow and move the eye from the front to the back of a shot or from on side to the other. If we have read some of the Time-Life Library of Photography books from the 1970’s (now at Amazon for cheap), including perhaps The Great Themes, then our eyes might have passed over a sentence or two about drawing the eye into a frame.

Everybody else must be on vacation or at P+/East, which begins in a few days. Or even worse, they are too afraid to express themselves.