re wacom

Sharing a tip for Photoshop / imaging program users who like using wacom tablets

Back before Apple ipads came into being and brought the term 'tablet' to a wider audience there had been a decade of windows tablet development and a rather impressive array of laptop/tablet convertible machines, mostly high end and expensive, but all with screen style imputs - these are latops with either detachable screens or screens that rotate and lay back down like a lid but with the screen now upright.

I have a preference for touch screens in general (my first touchscreen laptop, a Fujistu 8.4" B142 circa 1998 has just had the motherboard go :/ ) , but I also have a few wacom equipped tablets too - and there a heap of Wacom integrateted laptop/tablets which used a stylus to interact - mostly marketed to the business community for quoting, engineering or stocktake purposes, they were largely ignored by other users due to their prohibitive price.. for example an HP (compaq) TC4200 in 2005 cost $2099 - you could have had TWO apple G4 laptops for that price.. or if you were a Microsoft user, you could have bought four IBM T43 Thinkpads !

Step up to an even higher in price (2005 $US2350 MRRP) and you were looking at the Fujitsu Lifebook series like the t2410 - for that you could easily have bought 5 consumer laptops.

the point is, these business laptop/tablets all had 12 inch or larger wacom tablets built in along with a provided stylus.. and being business machines they were out of the public eye and largely unfamiliar to buyers. Add to that, the business community generally write off tech within their respective countries tax cycles, so these machines find their way into the market place dumped en mass at silly cheap prices

So

For a Photoshop user these are pretty remarkable machines, all have the ability to plug in a second monitor, usually at super high resolutions, so a Photoshop user can have one of these plugged into a massive monitor, fire up the machine load the image onto the large screen and work away on it using the computers inbuilt Wacom tablet.. and they can do this extremely cheaply! That is not counting the fact that they can still use it as-is away from their desk too.

I once had a really early wacom-style tablet, way ahead of it's time it was actually the first LCD panel tablet - the earliest equivalent of the new $1000 Wacom Cintiq tablet.. a Polaroid device, LCD panel on a steel frame which if memory serves correct sat at 30 degrees and was driven by a serial pen, It was slow and only mirrored the main monitor, I picked it up at auction for near nothing and sold it for a small fortune to someone in the US who still probably got a bargain.. this would have been pre-1998

For those that haven't used a tablet, they're not like touch screen devices - they use a stylus which means you can lay your hand on the screen/tablet and don't need to hover above it to do intricate work. They also have the ability to be used as a pressure device - ie, the harder you press the stylus, the darker, denser or broader the brushstroke / line depending on the way you set it up, and then there's the various programmable buttons and the eraser.

For any really young readers here, none of these have the now-familiar 2 finger touch interface, but in truth there's little real application for that function beyond zooming.

Now sure, you can go buy a new Wacom Intuso for around $300 - or a Cintiq for near $1000, but my point is that the laptops I spoke of can be bought stupid cheap from Ebay these days ..

in fact I'm looking at one TC4200 listing on ebay at $30, Lifebook T4210's and T4215's seem to go around $100 .. there's even a kind-of-rare Motion Computing ML400 on at the moment - they were top of the line in 2004 (and $2100+ too) going at 'buy it now' for $135 .. even being a bit low-end it's kind of a bargain.

I have no interest in the ones on ebay and I advise standard 'buyer beware' practices .. I just thought I'd point out the cheap options to those who may never have considered this style of laptop before. Of course the other thing with these I need to mention is you either use them with screen-only input and no keystrokes (if they are fully converted) OR you lay the screen at a weird angle and reach over the keyboard to use the stylus, with the keyboard still able to be used.

(my current favorite touchscreen is my tiny lifebook u1010, the t4215 is my preferred tablet :)

references below

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HP_Compaq_TC4200
http://www.cnet.com/au/products/apple-15-inch-powerbook-g4/
http://www.tabletpcreview.com/tabletreview/fujitsu-lifebook-t4210-review-pics-specs/