Comments about last weeks photographs in the PF gallery

Some personal observations about this past week’s photographs at http://www.davidhazy.org/andpph/gallery.html

Emily L. Ferguson - Get that photo boat! - Exciting action captured in this photograph! Timing (as in most other cases unless photographing still lives!) is critical. In this case I think the threat of a collision is overstated but implied nevertheless. Exciting!!

Jan Faul - Gunnery Targets, White Sands - A bit of military nostalgia this. Great story to go along with the photograph. Do fighters and bombers still train this way or are their runs mostly computer controlled? I used to teach "near miss analysis" procedures in my lab running a fighter model down an inclined wire and having students release a "bomb" to try hitting a target while 2 cameras captured a pair of images of the strike and from that they were supposed to determine how far off the bomb fell from the target. In real life you really don't want to be walking around a bombing range close to a target as there may be live bombs scattered all about!

Marilyn Dalrymple - Izzy - Interesting. Are they like chamaleons and change colors? Would have liked to see the more colorful state i evidence!

Laurenz Bobke - Hedgehog - Cute little bird. The clutter in the background does not help. But if this is rare then a good photograph is always a great catch!

Michael Hughes - Air Display  - Hmmmm ... Michael, this does not really convey the excitement of the dive. Tones are a bit too subdued and I cant hear the plane's engine as it pulls the plane out at 4-5 Gs! ;)

Bob McCulloch - Red Sails - This photograph does not quite do it for me. The sailor cut off at the right edge is distracting. Too many parts and they don't really add up to make a more informative or exciting whole. In my opinion.

Just my opinion,

Andy