Re: PHOTOFORUM digest 6570/software by sub.

I did write on this in May last year, making the point / warning that computer gamers and observers had already made, that subscription based gaming was a cash grab that many other software companies were exploring. Remember, gamers have been dealing with this for years now, so their cautionary tales are there as a warning for others.

At a time when the gaming industry obliterates the movie industry for profits, the most successful model is one where to play, you pay - but this has downsides customers disregard when they passively accept the model as just 'the way of the future' and decline to reject it.

The first problem any gamer will tell you is - even with what's known as a 'single player' game, one that has utterly no need whatsoever to connect to the web other than to do a license check.. is that when the validation server goes down tough luck - you're offline until such time as they bring it back.

The next warning gamers will point out is that you may well be happy with the version of the game you play, but if the manufacturer decides to tinker with (and often break) the product, tough. You are merely a passenger in this and they'll point to the terms and conditions which allow them to make changes to both the software and your computer as they see fit.

Those who don't buy the 'upgrade packs' or expansions to games may happily continue to play with their early version but they'll be constantly taunted by seeing what they're missing. I wouldn't mind betting that Adobe will probably bang in an instant messaging feature at some point as well .. so users can keep up with like minded users and share ideas, cloud-share images they're working on and help one another. It would be cool .. people like cool.. another psych trap that's proved successful in the gaming world to keep you hooked and plugged into the social side.

many gamers are perfectly happy with this (many gamers are young) - it's just old grumps like me who object and look for problems. after all, forewarned is forearmed.

I guess following through on the game analogy I should point out again that there are other options to photoshop, some arguably more capable - so there's no need to panic if Adobe fails. After all, 600+ of the biggest and most profiitable computer software companies have already gone to the wall in the short time we've had software companies ;)