Re: Models' rights

interesting … models in the US are also treated pretty much the same as in France.I think this is deplorable. As is mentioned in the video they get paid very little, are liable to lose income if a class is cancelled at last minute or whenever, often the expense of just getting to a class is a significant portion of their payment, etc.

And while finished paintings are often exhibited in university galleries most university administrators and staff are loath to admit that in some obscure location in they school there are actually individuals who are nude (naked) in front of a grow of students or others,

This is what I retry much experienced in my own university. Motto might be “no nudes is good nudes” … yet nudes (both genders) were on periodic exhibit in the art galleries. Hipocrits!! (sp?)

During my time at this school I tried in my way to pay more fairly but then got complaints from other departments that I was setting a precedent that they could not match and making them “look bad” or causing problems to them. Ultimately when I was about to make a photograph on request by a person who had obtained a certificate (that I had donated for an opportunity to be photographed as per a sample shown on that TV station’s website) from a local public TV station I was asked to not do it because I could be liable for damages or similar and would also poshly damage the reputation of the university. I did desist. I also left. For this and other reasons.

As the models say … photographers, painters, sculptors depend on their models. They deserved to be treated fairly and respectfully. If a finished painting merits hanging in a gallery the origin and circumstances of the painting etc. should not be hidden “under the carpet” so to speak.

My opinion,

Andy