Photography eBook

Greetings all,

This message is partly marketing but, for this group, mostly about an evolutionary step for photo books. It will be an interesting discussion, I suspect, that may be generated!  ;)

I've just "published" my first photography books on iTunes.  You can find it at this link:

I've wanted to publish a book like this for quite some time. Over the years, I've watched photographer friends publish their real, physical and beautiful photography books at great expense, as in thousands of dollars just for the printing costs. However, many copies of those beautiful books remain sitting in storage areas, and the photographer is out a lot of money.  (Or, as a friend in New Zealand - the copies were in his car trunk/boot, which was his sales office.) Also, I've worked on numerous publications and reports over my years and always felt that there was a deeper, richer way to use digital channels to distribute photographs. With the sales that I've seen so far, at least I feel like I'm a bit further ahead on the monetary curve.

This eBook is a fixed-layout EPUB (EPUB 3.0) created in the newest version of Adobe InDesign CC 2014.  InDesign will export a nice EPUB for you, but then extensive editing in something like Dreamweaver is required to insert the numerous hyperlinks, adjust the text and photographs, formalize the layout and fix innumerable nagging issues. The EPUB export features in the new InDesign aren't crude, but there's also a fair amount of polishing and improvement that Adobe will need to make over the coming years to really improve this capability so that it's easier for photographers and other InDesign users to use to the greatest extent. This is a digital book and I have no intention of printing physical copies, as a great deal of the utility of the book (i.e., the hyperlinks) would be lost, as well as the ability to readily zoom in on the pages. This EPUB is specifically designed for viewing on an iPad with the iBooks software, and also looks *great* on a Mac.

Most all of the approximately 200 photographs in this book are linked back to my Photoshelter account so that, hopefully, a reader is better and more easily able/encouraged to view and purchase those (or other) images.

Anyway, I wanted to share my "experiment."  I'm looking forward to how it unfolds and how it's received by the public.

Sincerely,

Tim!

Tim Mulholland/Illuminata Photo
Fitchburg, WI

608.628.2925

My camera, my experience, my creativity - your eyes, your memories, your emotions...