Re: PF member's exhibit on March 22, 2014

At 5:34 PM -0400 3/29/14, YGelmanPhoto wrote:
        Emily L. Ferguson - In the woods at sunrise

I am continuing to explore the possibilities of this technique as the sense of painting with light becomes more evident. Most of the color is developed in the digital darkroom, drawing on Photoshop's myriad tools for affecting color and color balance. My checking account is extremely relieved not to have to foot the bill for the many images that end up in the trash while I explore this. While I admire the people who managed to do this sort of thing with film, I would not like to have to be one of them myself.

About this topic, of using Photoshop or other software to create a sense of painting with light, I'm a little put back. Without casting any aspersions, I feel it's not quite legitimate. After all, its not like using real stuff right on your palette that you mixed and put there yourself. On the other hand, to use what is available is also an art. So I'm torn, but I'm an old fogey and tend not to see valuable things during their changes. Carry on, then. I'm sure more good should come of it.

Photoshop certainly has a plethora of tools for painting. I have a friend who's a watercolorist and I had to shoot some of her art for a book she was publishing. After I shot one of the pieces she spent the next 2 hours making little fixes of shading and coloring in some areas of the piece which she'd not gotten to doing with the watercolors and brush.

I'm not a painter of any kind, however. As I put it "I can't draw a crooked line on purpose." But I knew how to make the tools she needed accessible to her, and showed her how and she was off and running with my Wacom pen and tablet.

As for the image here - the tools I used to process the image were largely ones in the RAW converter - adjust shadows, increase contrast, adjust color balance, crop. There are a lot of possiblities in just those tools, especially the ones that affect color balance. None of them actually has to do with painting, however.

The painting part of the process happens while the shutter is open.
--
Emily L. Ferguson
mailto:elf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx